Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Tortilla Soup

Tonight's meal.....Tortilla soup on pg 39. This was actually a really good recipe and tasted like tortilla soup you'd get in a good mexican restaurant. So I definitely recommend it. The only downside is you have to cook and shred the chicken first before even putting it in the crock pot. Make sure you read that part of the recipe before you try putting it all together....what I did to make the cooking and shredding part go fast is I used my fake George Foreman grill which cooks meat really quickly so it didn't take as long as it normally does. This recipe calls for Cumin.....what the heck is that? Well I didn't know until I bought it for this recipe and let me tell you it has a very distinct smell. It's the smell of a taco seasoning packet you buy at the store. Well anyway it makes your house smell great while it's cooking and it tastes great too! I give this recipe a 4 I will definitely make this one again.

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth
2 cans (14 oz each) stewed tomatoes, chopped with liquid
1 cup medium salsa
2 Tbsp dried cilantro
1 Tbsp ground cumin
3-4 flour or corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
cheese, grated

Directions

Combine all ingredients except tortillas strips in greased slow
cooker. Cover and cook on high heat 4-6 hours or on low heat 8-10
hours. Ladle hot soup into individual serving bowls over strips of flour
tortillas and grated cheese. Makes 6-8 servings.

No comments: