Thursday, February 02, 2006

Burritos

Happy Ground Hog's Day!

Tonight's dinner, Burritos on pg 57. This was a great idea for a meal and of course it feeds a lot of people again so be prepared for leftovers if it's only for 2 people. I made a few adjustments on this recipe. It called for 2 cans of refried beans but I only had one so I substituted a can of black beans for the other and it worked fine. I'm sure you could substitute both cans for whatever beans you want. I also added a can of green chiles just to give it a little bit of a kick. It turned out great! The only thing is I went to cook it on low for 6 hours like it calls for and at 3 hours of being on low it started to burn on one side.....maybe my crock pot is retarded or maybe this girl just likes to cook things a little too long. Anyway I only left it on low for about 3 hours then turned it to warm for the next hour and then turned it completely off and it was still warm an hour later when we were ready to eat it.

So the moral of the story is make sure you check on your food if you're not used to your crock pot even if you're cooking on low. I give this recipe a 4, I would have given it 5 except for the burning at 3 hours of low cooking.....it was really good though!

Ingredients

1lb ground beef, cooked and drained
2 can (16 oz each) refried beans (or black beans)
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
flour tortillas

(I added 1 can of green chiles)

Directions

Combine all ingredients except for tortillas in greased slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low heat 6-10 hours. Spread hot bean mixture on flour
tortillas. Fill with favorite burrito toppings. Fold and
enjoy. Makes 4-6 servings.

Burrito toppings might include tomatoes, whole kernel corn, green onions,
cheese, guacamole, caramelized onions, and red or green salsa.

No comments: