Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Orange Chicken

So my first choice of recipe was Orange Chicken on pg 86. So I followed the instructions to a T and when it came time to eat....well lets just say the chicken really didn't taste much like an orange...not really much orange flavor to it at all. Now when I think about Orange Chicken I'm thinking of the awesome stuff that Panda Express makes and any other American Chinese restaurant makes. Now I knew it wouldn't be exactly the same thing but I thought maybe it would at least taste like it. I mean for crying out loud it called for orange juice, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard and hot pepper sauce so you'd think it'd have some sort of flavor.....did I mention it didn't have much flavor?! Of course my husband said it was good and ate it anyway even if he was humoring me...but come on.....all those ingredients and a little tiny bit of flavor?

Anyway, it called for 6 chicken breasts! We're 2 people, we had better not be eating 6 pieces of chicken in one sitting! So the other 4 pieces of chicken were used throughout the week for other dinners. I have to say it's nice to have already cooked chicken at your disposal, especially if that chicken doesn't have much flavor, that way you can make any kind of dish you want and change the flavor of the magnificent "Orange Chicken"....can you sense the sarcasm? Well that's one recipe down and I guess about 100 more to go? Out of 5 stars I'll give this recipe a 3
it's just average.

Ingredients

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1/4 cup molasses
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp orange juice
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8-1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce, optional

Directions

Place chicken in greased 4 1/2 to 6 qt slow cooker. Combine molasses, vinegar, orange juice, Worcestershire, mustard, and hot sauce if using. Pour sauce over the top of chicken. Cover and cook on high heat 3-4 hours or on low heat 7-9 hours. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: