Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Italian Chicken with Mushrooms

Ok here's my 3rd recipe....It's Italian Chicken with Mushrooms on pg 84 and I have to tell you if this one didn't turn out I was going to throw that book in the garbage. Everyone just raves about these books by Ms. Ashcraft, she's got a ton of them but if they don't taste good or they burn then what's the point?

Well the point is this one turned out to be fantastic! I even drew a star at the top of this page so I knew to make it again. I didn't have mushrooms so I used green beans instead (you will want to drain that juice as well, if you know anything about green bean juice it takes over the flavor of whatever you're cooking). This time instead of following the recipe to a T I tweaked it a bit. I guess this cookbook needs a warning label that says, may need some tweaking or your food might be crappy. You're supposed to cook the chicken by itself for 3 hours and then add the extra stuff and cook another 2 hours. No way was I going to have burnt chicken for dinner so I only cooked it for an extra hour and it was perfect! My husband even took the leftovers to law school the next day for lunch. I didn't notice until after that it said to serve over hot noodles, we didn't do that and it was fine.

Well I guess 3rd times a charm....I will keep the book! I give this recipe a 5 PERFECTO!

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1/4 cup water
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken or mushroom soup, condensed
1 can (4 oz) mushroom stems and pieces, drained

Directions

Place chicken in a greased 3 1/2 to 5 qt slo cooker. Combine salad dressing mix
and water; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on high heat 3 hours. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and soup until blended. Stir in mushrooms, Pour over chicken. Cook 1 hour longer on high heat, o runtil chicken juices run clear. Makes 4 servings.

No comments: