Monday, January 29, 2007

Garden Risotto


I loved this recipe (also from the ward cookbook) since it used 2 chicken breasts which is what I usually use in a recipe even if it calls for more. I also love it because you cook everything at once, there's no 50 million steps to this recipe! This also made a ton of food which is great for leftovers. Unfortunately, we have no more leftovers they were gone the next day! That's how good this stuff is! I couldn't find Orzo pasta...dumb Walmart doesn't have it so you have to go to a regular grocery store to get it. It looks like rice but it's pasta so it's in the pasta section. Instead I used small shells pasta. The difference in cooking this way is it needs a little longer to cook and extra liquid maybe a cup more. But it still turned out great! I give this recipe a 5!



2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, uncooked and cut into bite size pieces
3 T. olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
1 can chicken broth
1 3/4 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
2 cups broccoli florets
1 1/2 cup frozen corn
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup parmesan cheese

In a sauce pan saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil and brown the chicken along with it. Add chicken broth, uncooked pasta and broccoli. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Stir occasionally so the orzo pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pan. This only takes a few minutes. STir in the corn, salt and pepper and cook for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. --Jessica Mathews

2 comments:

ang said...

oooh, this one sounds good! i am going to add orzo to my shopping list and try it next week! hopefully it's as successful as yours!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe! My family loved it. I used frozen broccoli and substituted tiny peas for the corn. I also added sundried tomatoes for color and they added wonderful flavor, too. I would suggest you have plenty of broth on hand when you make this, so you can add more if you need it. I used a whole box, which I think is equivalent to two cans (unless the recipe was calling for a large can). This seems to be one of those recipes that you can "play with" and use whatever you have on hand and it's going to come out delicious every time. It will definitely one of my regular recipes, because it was so simple and absolutely YUMMY!