Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Farmhouse Chicken Dinner

Ever since I got the new Kraft Food and Family magazine, Fall 2006 issue, I have been using it nonstop (that was 2 days ago). Tonight's meal was fabulous. It was so good that I was glad I made the full 4 servings so that there were left overs. I mean, so good that when I was close to finishing my serving, I was wishing that I wasn't so full so I could eat more. I didn't though...that would have been piggish (is that a word?). As for the chicken itself, I hardly ever buy meat with the bone still in so I just used boneless chicken breasts and I didn't have brown rice so white rice works just as well. Anyway, you have to try this recipe and tell me if you thought it was as good as I did. I definitely give this recipe a 5!


1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 small bone-in chicken breast halves (1-1/2 lb.), skin removed
1/4 cup KRAFT LIGHT DONE RIGHT! Zesty Italian Reduced Fat Dressing
2 cups baby carrots
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
2 cups MINUTE Brown Rice, uncooked
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA
Neufchatel Cheese, 1/3 Less Fat than Cream Cheese, cubed
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

MIX flour and pepper in shallow dish. Add chicken; turn to evenly coat both sides with flour mixture. Shake off excess flour mixture. Heat dressing in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add chicken, meat-side down; cook 5 to 6 min. or until golden brown. Turn chicken over; add carrots, onions and 1 cup of the broth. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 min. or until carrots are tender and chicken is cooked through (180°F).

MEANWHILE, cook rice as directed on package. Spoon onto serving platter. Use slotted spoon to remove chicken and vegetables from skillet; place over rice. Cover to keep warm.

ADD Neufchatel cheese and remaining broth to skillet; increase heat to high. Cook until cheese is melted and sauce is well blended, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 3 to 5 min. or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Spoon over chicken and vegetables; sprinkle with parsley.

No comments: