Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Southwestern Chicken with Black Beans and Rice


Tonight I wanted something with a zing to clear out my stuffed nose. I found a recipe that would do just that from the Kraft Food and Family magazine, fall 2005 edition. This little beauty combines my favorites, chicken, black beans and gives it a kick with some hot sauce. I chose tabasco sauce and even though it said to add just 1/2 tsp. I added about a full tsp. to make it even hotter. I also used white rice instead of brown...only because I didn't have brown. I used turkey breast lunch meat instead of ham as well. I'll have to say the recipe wasn't half bad and did have that extra kick I was looking for. The other good thing is that it was a recipe made for 2 people. I give this recipe a 4.


1/4 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 can (14 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
3 slices OSCAR MAYER Thin Sliced Honey Ham, chopped
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 cup MINUTE Brown Rice, cooked

HEAT dressing in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken and onions; cook 4 min., turning chicken over after 2 min.

ADD tomatoes, beans, ham and pepper sauce. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 min. or until chicken is cooked through, turning chicken over after 5 min.

SERVE over hot cooked rice.

1 comment:

Beth schell said...

I'm taking the chicken out of the freezer at lunch and going to try this tonight!

Question: what do you do with the rest of the stewed tomatoes and black beans since it only calls for 1 c. each?