Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Perfect Apple Pie with No Fail Pie Crust


Tonight I'm giving you 2 recipes in one....this is my mother-in-laws recipe. We had her apple pie last night and I knew I had to have the recipe, it was delicious! I'm not very good at making pie crust though so when she told me that this recipe was really "no fail" I had to try it to believe it. She was right, this was the easiest pie crust recipe I've ever made. And my apartment smells like apple pie....mmmmmmmm! I give these recipes both a 5!

No Fail Pie Crust

Sift together:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp salt

Blend in well 1 cup shortening.
Beat together and add the following to the flour mixture.

1 egg
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1/4 cup water

It makes 2 one crust pies or 1 two crust pie.

Perfect Apple Pie

6 or 7 tart apples
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of salt
Pastry for 2 crust (9 inch) pie
2 Tbsp. butter

Pare apples and slice thin. Combine sugar, flour, spices and salt; mix with apples.

Line 9 inch pie plate with pastry. Fill with apple mixture. Dot with butter. Adjust top crust. Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 400 for 50 minutes or until done. You can use 2 (number 2) cans of sliced pie apples instead of fresh apples.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a good recipe! I love it! (Ha, Ha)
"The Mother-in-law"!